RE: Copying ORACLE_HOME?

  • From: "Powell, Mark D" <mark.powell@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 13:16:24 -0400

 On a UNIX platform where you make each look like the initial install
server I would think you could get away with copying the $ORACLE_HOME
and the appropriate related files stored in other locations such as
/etc, /var/opt/oracle, etc... Depending on the platform.  You will have
to fix oratab and perhaps make some other editing adjustments.

But the name of the home directory and all other locations better be the
same or the Oracle inventory file is going to be out of sync.  If
nothing else that will create problems going forward.

This gets more complicated if you use some other Oracle products such as
IAS since it is node and ip address aware.

You also have a problem on Windows platforms because of the regisitry.

Have they considered creating a scripted install?

Just some thoughts on the subject.
-- Mark D Powell --