Re: Copying Large Amounts of Data From Prod to Dev

  • From: "David Barbour" <david.barbour1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: regdba@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 13:19:56 -0400

Peter,

We're currently running a 4.8TB Oracle SAP instance that's getting pushed
back to QA and/or DEV several times a month.  I'm using the RMAN duplicate
command against two IBM 3592 Tape Drives.  The DBA time on this is really
minimal.  I've actually got it all scripted, and the restore time varies
between 8-10 hours.  Post-processing by our Basis Team takes from 45 minutes
to an hour.  I can kick it off on a Friday night (or whenever) and
generally, somebody from our Basis team does the post stuff (license
install, user configuration, printer configuration, etc.) early Monday
morning and it's ready to go when the Developers and QA folks come to work.

The disks are 15000rpm 73GB in RAID5 arrays, and the tape library is
fibre-connected to the servers.

On 6/18/07, Peter Barnett <regdba@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks for the thoughts.  We are likely going to be
refreshing and rebuilding at least three
multi-terabyte databases every month for development.
Same for systems and integration testing.  Speed is
definitely an issue.

We would also like to reduce the number of DBA
resources required to do this.  That is what
originally drove the Symclone question.  Can we do
this with little, or no, DBA time?  There seems to be
agreement that it is slow.  Guess we need a 'Plan B'.

--- Matthew Zito <mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> And actually, as I think about it, if you're just
> looking to move data
> from one place to another, the symclone stuff might
> be a bit of overkill
> for it - if you just want to move a chunk of data
> from one place to
> another, you could use a timefinder snapshot, which
> would reduce your
> disk usage, or if its done infrequently, you could
> use a standard BCV,
> which provides better performance than the symclone
> piece.
>
> Thanks,
> Matt
>
> --
> Matthew Zito
> Chief Scientist
> GridApp Systems
> P: 646-452-4090
> mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx

Be a better Heartthrob. Get better relationship answers from someone who
knows. Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.