Re: Copying Large Amounts of Data From Prod to Dev

  • From: "Alex Gorbachev" <gorbyx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: regdba@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 15:50:53 -0400

There is a very good reason to use your normal backup for cloning - you
would test you backup at the same time.
If you need to duplicate it into several environments than you can save some
time using certain clone or checkpoint techniques (as I mentioned in my
presentation).

On 6/18/07, Peter Barnett <regdba@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks for the thoughts.  We are likely going to be
refreshing and rebuilding at least three
multi-terabyte databases every month for development.
Same for systems and integration testing.  Speed is
definitely an issue.

We would also like to reduce the number of DBA
resources required to do this.  That is what
originally drove the Symclone question.  Can we do
this with little, or no, DBA time?  There seems to be
agreement that it is slow.  Guess we need a 'Plan B'.

--
Best regards,
Alex Gorbachev, Oracle DBA Brewer, The Pythian Group