RE: Copy 11g DB/Instance onto the same server

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jwilton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <s.cislaghi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 00:20:58 -0400

First, unless you have just the right disk setup and/or a split mirrors
capability using RMAN as Jeremiah suggests is probably faster and it is
certainly easier unless you don't know RMAN.

Second, if you were going to do the deed via copy or split you'd put the
database (or sets of tablespaces at a time) in hot backup mode (also renamed
online backup mode by marketing weenies who thought the word "hot" sounded
dangerous). So the outage required would only be for the startup rename
resetlogs of the copy. That would vary not by size of the database, but by
the number of files. (And it won't take long.)

So if for some reason you can't use RMAN, at least minimize your downtime.
If you need the details look back in oracle-l a few years. From about 1988
until RMAN became reliable, that was the way to go.

Regards,

mwf

  _____