RE: Copies of control file in dbs directory

  • From: "Marquez, Chris" <cmarquez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ineyman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <lawrence.wolfson@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Dennis Williams" <oracledba.williams@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 14:54:43 -0400

I agree with Dennis

"Copies of the CF are being generated into the dbs directory."
"client is complaining about performance."

Sounds to me like a backup is running.

>>So how do I turn off ?Control autobackup? ?

Well that might not be the issue...the issue is running a backup at all, right?

I think your issue is not "CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP" but the "Snapshot Control
File" automatically created for and by Oracle during RMAN backups.

This might help;

CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP
CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP  ON | OFF | CLEAR;

Snapshot Control File:
A copy of a database's control file taken by Recovery Manager. RMAN uses the
snapshot control file to read a consistent version of a control file when
either resynchronizing the recovery catalog or backing up the control file. A
snapshot control file is created by Recovery Manager using the same Oracle code
that creates backup control files: ALTER DATABASE BACKUP CONTROL FILE TO
'location'.
Determining the Snapshot Control File Location:  When RMAN needs to
resynchronize from a read-consistent version of the control file, it creates a
temporary snapshot control file. The default name for the snapshot control file
is port-specific. Use the set snapshot controlfile name command to change the
name of the snapshot control file; subsequent snapshot control files that RMAN
creates use the name specified in the command.
        For example, start RMAN and then enter: set snapshot controlfile name
to '/oracle/dba/prod/snap_prod.ctl';

hth

Chris Marquez
Oracle DBA