RE: Convertion of time with NEW_TIME

  • From: "Bill Coulam" <bill.coulam@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lucdemanche@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 11:25:57 -0600

I've seen desperate attempts to make the timezone magically appear like this
before. It isn't pretty. Good luck my friend.

The DATE datatype is timezone agnostic.

If you know what timezone it was stored in, say systemwide all DATEs where
recorded in EST because that's what the host machine was set to, you're
golden.

If you stored the timezone in another column along with the DATE to indicate
what timezone applied when the record was written, you're golden.

Otherwise, you're sunk.

I'd be very happy to be corrected and learn something new...

- bill c.