Converting UNIs to PKs

  • From: "Jesse, Rich" <Rich.Jesse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 09:44:46 -0600

Hey all,

Migrating from 8i to 9i, we're hoping to be able to use the expanded ONLINE
features of tables, mostly for post-conversion moving of tables.  I see in
James Morley's outlawed paper on 9i New Features that a requirement of this
is that the table must have a PK.  The problem is that the DB consists of
mostly vendor-created tables to support our ERP system, and none of those do
not have PKs, but instead most rely on unique indexes.

As I recall, PKs are similar to UNIs, but have an additional NOT NULL
constraint on the column(s).  Our ERP system does not support NULLs and
there are no NULLs stored (that I know of).  Anyone see potential problems
with adding a PK constraint to the unique indexes?

TIA,
Rich

Rich Jesse                        System/Database Administrator
rich.jesse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx      QuadTech, Sussex, WI USA