Re: Convert database from AIX to Windows

  • From: Ian Cary <Ian.Cary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 14:52:07 +0000

The rman convert command has from platform and to platform as parameters
which handle the endianess conversion.
The availble platforms I first used this on are listed bleow although the
contents of v$transportable_platform may differ from version to version

   select platform_name,endian_format from v$transportable_platform;

   PLATFORM_NAME                       ENDIAN_FORMAT
   ----------------------------------- --------------
   AIX-Based Systems (64-bit)          Big
   Apple Mac OS                        Big
   HP Open VMS                         Little
   HP Tru64 UNIX                       Little
   HP-UX (64-bit)                      Big
   HP-UX IA (64-bit)                   Big
   IBM Power Based Linux               Big
   IBM zSeries Based Linux             Big
   Linux 64-bit for AMD                Little
   Linux IA (32-bit)                   Little
   Linux IA (64-bit)                   Little
   Microsoft Windows 64-bit for AMD    Little
   Microsoft Windows IA (32-bit)       Little
   Microsoft Windows IA (64-bit)       Little
   Solaris Operating System (x86)      Little
   Solaris[tm] OE (32-bit)             Big
   Solaris[tm] OE (64-bit)             Big

So if you are converting files on an AIX box prior to moving them to Linux
say you would need to use

        convert datafile '<file1>’,'<file2>',…,’<filen>’
        to platform 'Linux IA (64-bit)'

Alternatively if you had already copied the files to the Linux box you
would use

        convert datafile '<file1>’,'<file2>',…,’<filen>’
        from platform 'AIX-Based Systems (64-bit)'

Cheers,

Ian

|         |           oracle@xxxxxxxxxxx|
|         |           o.uk              |
|         |           Sent by:          |
|         |           oracle-l-bounce@fr|
|         |           eelists.org       |
|         |           20/01/2012 11:09  |
|         |           Please respond to |
|         |           oracle            |

  |       To:       oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                                                     |
  |       cc:
                                                                     |
  |       Subject:  Re: Convert database from AIX to Windows

Hi Dennis,

On 19/01/12 22:12, Dennis Williams wrote:
> One point I didn't see mentioned in this discussion is "endianness" I
> believe AIX is a big-endian machine while Windows/Intel is little-endian.

Using transportable tablespaces cross platform requires RMAN to convert
the data files to the correct format. If it cannot do it, it will tell you.

I can't remember if the endianness had to be the same on both platforms
though - when I used TTs to migrate a system both were the same.

Cheers,
Norm.

--
Norman Dunbar
Dunbar IT Consultants Ltd

Registered address:
Thorpe House
61 Richardshaw Lane
Pudsey
West Yorkshire
United Kingdom
LS28 7EL

Company Number: 05132767

For the latest data on the economy and society consult National Statistics at
http://www.ons.gov.uk

Please Note:  Incoming and outgoing email messages are routinely monitored for
compliance with our policy on the use of electronic communications

Legal Disclaimer  :  Any views expressed by the sender of this message are not
necessarily those of the Office for National Statistics

The original of this email was scanned for viruses by the Government Secure
Intranet virus scanning service supplied by Cable&Wireless Worldwide in
partnership with MessageLabs. (CCTM Certificate Number 2009/09/0052.) On
leaving the GSi this email was certified virus free.
Communications via the GSi may be automatically logged, monitored and/or
recorded for legal purposes.