Re: Convert database from AIX to Windows

  • From: Norman Dunbar <oracle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 20:04:08 +0000

Evening,

> There is a proposal to consolidate all hardware platform and we are looking
> at converting the database from IBM/AIX to Windows. What would be the best
> method to do this? Datapump or Transportable tablespace? The database is
> about 120G with2 large tablespaces each about 50-60G. Any gotchas with this
> conversion?
Not having used datapump yet, I'd be thinking about TTs myself. I used
them recently to copy over a few terabytes from HPUX PA-RISC to Linux
x86-86. It worked, however:

The exporting database has to be at 10.2.0.4 (I think) or above to get
the use of cross platform TTs.

Also, the exporting database must be Enterprise Edition. A Standard
Edition can only import TTs.

Other than that, and mine was from 9.2.0.6 SE to 11.2.0.2 SE, it's quite
simple.

9206SE->9206EE->10204 first, then did the TT stuff. A quick RMAN to
convert the datafiles to Linux and the imported them. Just worked.

Much much quicker than exp/imp!

Got a few more to do on my current project when they get the storage
sorted out.

have fun.

Cheers,
Norm.