Re: Controlling developers is like herding cats

  • From: david wendelken <davewendelken@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 14:00:23 -0800 (PST)

>and to bring this somewhat back on topic, before Jared kills me...

>developing a good working relationship with ANY of your co-workers
>(developers, DBAs, SAs, users, managers) can only help you get your own
>work done

ditto!

--- david wendelken <davewendelken@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Incidentally, my cats were quite offended at the statement that
> controlling developers is like herding cats.
>
> 1) The cats are much smarter.
> 2) Cats cannot be herded, only coaxed with tasty smackerels or
> amusing playtoys.  They suggest trying that with the developers
> instead of trying to herd them.

Actually, I was on topic!

Tasty smackerels doesn't have to be limited to food - one can offer respect,
friendship, mentoring, shared excitement about professional level work and
learning new things, etc.

And amusing playtoys can include nifty utilities that automate portions of
their drudge work to your standards.
And, of course, those utilities will save them lots of their time if only they
will do this other manual step your way, too. :)

Those approaches can really pay big dividends regardless of whether you are a
"manager" or not.