Re: Considerations to choose SUN server for Oracle

  • From: przemolicc@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 12:41:08 +0200

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 11:11:31AM +0200, Martin Berger wrote:
> Przemek,
>
> the bug is somewhat hidden,
> I hope this link will work for others than my MOS account too:
> https://supporthtml.oracle.com/ep/faces/secure/ml3/sr/ViewDefectDetail.jspx?id=9714309&bugProductSource=

I have read the description but can't find anything which points that this is
related to T platform.
Are you sure that this bug wouldn'd happen if run on M series ?
This is more related to number of session and processes (Solaris level) then to
hardware.
Also this database works on ZFS - personally I wouldn't recommend ZFS for
highly transactional Oracle.

> I agree, I will find BUGs on any platform. My concerns are not the T
> platform as it is. I'm facing the problem in the architecture of Oracles
> CSS stack (implemented with 'threads'), the multiple 'threads' in T...
> CPUs, and the way Solaris-scheduler handles these. As the Issue is not
> solved by any of Oracle departements, I'm just guessing at the moment.
> As the escalated Prio1 SR is open for more than 4 months now, it doesn't
> seem to be easy to find (and yes, I have a reproduceable testcase, a
> dedicated sandbox, direct access for support if needed, ...)
> I even doesn't know how deep are Oracles test for RDBMS on T2 CPUs, but
> I'm afraid there where not too much tests.

Well, our case might not say anything but we use T series quite intensive
(also benchmarked them to be fully 100% loaded) and are quite happy
with its result (but typical OLTP workload). Though at the moment of purchase
I guess there wasn't Nehalem-based servers ...

Regards
Przemek

> best regards
>  Martin
>

> Am 30.08.2010 um 09:54 schrieb przemolicc@xxxxxxxxx:
>
>> 1. I can't find this bug (Sunsolve/bugs.opensolrais.org). Any link ?
>> 2. You can find bugs on every platform - including Nehalem, Power7,
>> Sparc VII, Itanium etc.
>> 3. I would not paint T2000 and T5240/T5440 with the same brush - their
>> name starts
>>   with "T" ;-) but they are quite different.
>>
>> Regards
>> Przemek
> --
> //www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l