Re: Connect to Oracle DB from Web

  • From: "bill thater" <shrekdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: post.ethan@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 08:42:58 -0600

On 3/24/06, Ethan Post <post.ethan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I know there has been some discussion here in the past regarding what you
> need to do to your firewall to allow connections from the web server to an
> Oracle database. I have a situation where someone is requesting this. I have
> advised that this is likely not a good idea since I *think* you have to
> pretty much open up the firewall for all traffic to achieve this. However, I
> have not stayed up on this and have never been very good at it, so can
> anyone point me to some security papers etc...that would talk about the whys
> and why nots of allowing direct public web access to the DB. Perhaps
> something that explains the *mechanics* that make going through a midtier
> safer?

many firewall venders have worked with Oracle to allow the tunneling
of Net8 traffic with only opening one port.  you should check with
Oracle and your firewall vendor to see if this is enabled.

the whole security issue that opens i'll leave to the more experienced.;-)

Bill "Shrek" Thater     ORACLE DBA
       shrekdba@xxxxxxxxx
"While preceding your entrance with a grenade is a good tactic in
Quake, it can lead to problems if attempted at work." -- C Hacking