RE: Confusing update issue!

  • From: Michael Thomas <mhthomas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 07:17:41 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

1) In your original message if you wish to figure out
what happened with NLS date paramenters, please try
setting:
nls_date_format

You can confirm these parameters in the OS
environment, and in SQL*Plus with some simple tests.

Below you typed?
nvl_date_format

2) The session NLS setting should work for dates if
its set. But, since NLS...(whatever) can be set in
the multiple places, with different precedence, and
at different places for applications on different
OS's, its a risk for errors. Also, different settings
for NLS_DATE can alter default NLS_LANG character
conversions in an USASCII7 database environment
(you probably already know all this...).

I think its better to convert to a date like Lex
suggests. :-)

HTH

Regards,

Mike Thomas

--- Lex de Haan <lex.de.haan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Denham,
>
> I think the best cure is to solve the root problem
> -- that is, the script
> itself.
Oops. nvl?

> Run this script in different front ends including
> toad. Same thing.

Toad may be reading nls_date from the registry or
the OS environment, if its set. Java adds another
layer of complexity if its involved (But, I don't
think Toad uses java). If nls_date is not set, then
there are a bunch of rules to determine what
effective nls_date is used by your session and
database. Sometimes its hard to figure out.

Good luck.