Re: Configuration of the SAN

  • From: Luc Demanche <lucdemanche@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 14:06:17 -0500

Jared,

I will have 2 volumes for my redo.
but my question is not about the number of volumes for redo, it's
about what should I do with that config.
RAID-5 for data and index, and RAID-1 for redo and archived ....

Should I put everything on RAID-10 ?  I won't have to lose that space
for my redo and archived b'cause they are the only one on RAID-1.

Thank
Luc

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 18:58:35 +0000, Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 11:41:11 -0500, Luc Demanche <lucdemanche@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> > I will have a filesystem of 146G to store my redo group of 2G .... what a
> > waste.
> > Same thing for my redo group 2 and my archived log files ...
> >
> > What is your LUN configuration regardinf redo log groups and archived
> > log files ?
> >

> 4 RAID 1 volumes for Redo.
>
> Redo is software mirrored as well.
> The belt and suspenders approach.
> ( Belt and braces for you British folks)
>
> What is the point of 3 redo volumes anyway?
>
> Archive logs are shipped off to a RAID 10.
>
> --
> Jared Still

Luc Demanche
Oracle DBA