Re: Completely insane execution plan with 11.2.0.3 but not with 11.2.0.2

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 21:32:43 +0100

Test case builder does indeed not require a separate license (us outside
the Oracle firewall tend to be conscious of these things for some reason).

Aside

One thing that caught me out when investigating test case builder is that
it recreates the objects and dependencies involved in a new schema. This is
of course by design. Now consider a schema as follows pseudo code

User A
======
create table A.t1 (id number not null
, c1 varchar2(50)
, c2 date
, constraint pk_t1 primary key (id) );

create table A.t1_aud(
   id number
,  c2 date
,  last_update);

create or replace trigger A.trg_t1
before insert on A.t1
begin
  insert into A.t2 (id,c2,last_update) values (:new.id,new.c2, sysdate);
end;
/

then the code with the fully qualified object references will be created
with the same fully qualified object references in the test case schema.
Subsequent testing will try and insert into the wrong table which either
invalidates the test case, or messes up your original data. Fortunately
this failed for me because the trigger in test failed to compile because
the test case user didn't have privs on user A's objects.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA