RE: Column order in indices (oracle 9.2)

  • From: genegurevich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "Schultz, Charles" <sac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 08:09:17 -0500

Charles

The explain plan is pretty straightforward:

|   0 | SELECT STATEMENT     |                  |     1 |    41 |     1 |
|       |        |      |            |
|   1 |  PARTITION LIST ALL  |                  |       |       |       |
1 |     3 | 60,00  | PCWP |            |
|*  2 |   TABLE ACCESS FULL  | DSPLY_ACCT_OFFR  |     1 |    41 |     1 |
1 |     3 | 60,00  | P->S | QC (RAND)

And it does indicates the full table scan. When I change the SQL and add
another condition to the where clause
which filters on the leading column in the PK, the explain plan does show
the index being used.  I agree that
there are other factors involved , but I don't know which ones.

thank you

Gene Gurevich
Oracle Engineering
224-405-4079

             "Schultz,
             Charles"
             <sac@xxxxxxxxxxxx                                          To
             u>                        <genegurevich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                       >, "oracle-l"
             08/01/2006 07:48          <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: Column order in indices (oracle
                                       9.2)

The column order does matter, but Oracle can SKIP SCAN an index in the
situation you talk about. To determine exactly what is going on, you
should at least get an explain plan of your sql. I imagine there are
other factors involved.