Re: Cold backup versus hot backup.

Jack van Zanen wrote,on my timestamp of 14/04/2009 9:33 AM:
What makes the implementation of hot backups so much more complex?
RMAN>backup database; RMAN>Restore database;
RMAN>Recover database;
looks simple enough to me

plus:

- manage the archive log file system so that even on the highest load
of an errant program it doesn't fill up and freeze the db.
- find enough space somewhere to keep the compressed archived logs
until the next backup and make sure it doesn't blow up under
the same conditions.
- make sure the archiver works fine and doesn't let the db freeze
while waiting for it.

and I can think of a few details more, mostly relevant to development
and test dbs.
What do you reckon of this as a subject to talk about on a
future meetup?

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto