RE: Coke switches to DB2!!

  • From: "Goulet, Richard" <Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Blanchard, William" <wblanchard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <hrishys@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>, <wbfergus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 10:02:20 -0400

William,

        That has been a standing issue between SAP and Oracle for a
couple of years now and IMHO well overdue.  I worked on an Oracle
database a few years ago that was part of a SAP system.  It was tossing
ORA-00600 errors all the time in the alert log.  A quick check on
Metalink resulted in no hits, so I filed an iTAR on the subject.  After
a few back & forth the tech & I zeroed in on a library file that
appeared to be the source of the problem.  He asked for the usual
particulars, date & size of the file and then abruptly closed the iTAR
referring me to SAP.  I wondered what would cause that type of behavior
so I went snooping and found that the subject library was not identical
to another plain vanilla (non-SAP) Oracle system and found that they
were indeed different.  To make a long story short, SAP had issued a
patch to the library file to fix a problem they had created with some
bad SQL.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA/NA Team Lead
PAREXEL International