Re: Coke switches to DB2!!

  • From: Robyn <robyn.sands@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 17:48:38 -0400

Moving SAP from Oracle to DB2 shouldn't be a big shift for an SAP database
administrator.  They tend to use the SAP tools for the admin tasks anyway -
it's harder to convince them to manage Oracle without SAP.
Application compatibility should be a non-issue.  SAP has supported DB2 for
as long as I can remember - I think DB2 was the original preferred platform
long ago and far away.

Should they choose to move other Oracle databases to the DB2 platform, then
they might struggle transitioning the dba's and the systems.  imho, you
seldom learn as much about the care and feeding of the underlying database
working with SAP as you might on other apps. The initial migration won't
help the learning curve for future migrations.

I'd rather move to DB2 that SQL Server any day, although I'd have a lot of
relearning to do. But I would have an issue with a manager that approached
his senior person and TOLD him the migration was going to happen.  Seems
like a wise manager would approach his technical person to find out the
ramifications of the choice first.  Hopefully, the article wrote it that way
for impact.

There's a big push from IBM to get our OEM business and the people who have
to negotiate the licensing with Oracle are listening. They're really annoyed
with the per core model and with the steadily increasing prices, and IBM is
offering lower cost in a simpler model.  Fortunately, our guys are smart
enough to invite technical people to the meeting and ASK what we get from
Oracle that we don't get from the other products.  Between me and another
guy, we gave them a pretty long list, plus the negotiators understood that
the maturity and capability of the feature counts.

But then again, I don't do SAP (anymore) .... :)  <== that smiley face s/b
really, really big

Robyn

--
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up
where I needed to be.