RE: Coalescing Indxes on a regular basis

  • From: "Kerber, Andrew W." <Andrew.Kerber@xxxxxxx>
  • To: fmhabash@xxxxxxxxx, "Mercadante, Thomas F (LABOR)" <Thomas.Mercadante@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 14:02:08 -0500

Empirical evidence has shown me that on tables exceeding 20 million
rows, even a 5% delete on the table can cause measurable degradation in
performance that can be fixed by rebuilding the indices.  I have not
tried coalescing the indices, so I don't know if the same effect can be
achieved by coalescing them.