Cloning Oracle Home, moving standby databases to new home on new machine

  • From: "S. Anthony Sequeira" <tony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle List <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 00:41:10 +0100

Hi again.

I'm due to apply a patch to a RAC primary, and single instance standby
10.1.0.5, Solaris 9.  I've just this (well yesterday now) afternoon
discovered that the standby is sharing an Oracle Home with 2 other
production standbys, which we cannot patch at the moment.

The plan is to clone the Oracle Home (well documented), and move the the
2 databases across to the new home.

I think moving the standbys should be straightforward, I do not believe
I will have to recreate the control files.  Though feel free to correct
me.

Things to look out for (my list)

The listener
oratab
the (s)pfile
scripts which hardcode the Oracle Home (none I hope)

Is there anything I have overlooked?  I'm a bit concerned, a strings on
the standby control files come up with references to previous standby
control file names in the existing oracle home?  Anyone know anything
about this?

Regards.
--
S. Anthony Sequeira