Re: Clone Oracle 8i Database

  • From: Ahbaid Gaffoor <ahbaid@xxxxxxx>
  • To: gheibia@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 01:25:28 -0800

Amir,

Do you have access to the file system of the Windows machine via. a bootdisk of some sort? I'm assuming from your post that the windows installation is itself damaged. If this is true and you know where all your files for your db are, and they are accessible, here's what I would try:

On a second windows host, use oradim to setup the services you need, copy all the files into the second machine, place them in the same paths, then try to start the db.

Without knowing too much about why the db and/or it's original host died, that's a stab in the dark at best.

Hope this helps

Ahbaid

Amir Gheibi wrote:
Hi,

I need to copy an Oracle database from one machine to another.
I am using Oracle 8i on windows. It's a very simple database. It's not even using archive mode or anything like that. The problem here is the source windows is pretty much damaged and non of the oracle services are working. Is there any way to save the database? Is there any practical paper on the Internet that I can take advantage of?

Thanks in advance,
Amir