Re: Changing the server type

From: "Ric Van Dyke" <ric.van.dyke@xxxxxxxxxx>
> The "(SERVER = DEDICATED)" line defines what kind of connection is to be
> made to the database from the client.
>
> Basically there are two kinds of connections to the database, a
> dedicated connection or a shared server connection. Both can be used
> simultaneously.
>
> To change the connection type you'll have to change the TNSNAMES file.
> I think there is a GUI to do that, Net configuration manager?  I just
> edit the file personally.

Ok, I know these things, but I don't know what other settings should be made
than just changing SERVER = DEDICATED to
SERVER = SHARED because when I tried to do this change using Database
Configuration Assistant, I have seen that it also asked me to define the number
of processes which are started by default, so those settings should be also
saved somewhere.

I have read that the difference between DEDICATED and SHARED is that the
dedicated server starts all the processes which are necessary and that this is
recommended when there are fewer users but that it pre-alocates more resources
when the server starts, which is the thing I want to avoid, because it takes
minutes until I can really use Windows after the computer starts.

Thanks.

Octavian