RE: Changing initrans

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kaygopal@xxxxxxxxx>, <richa03@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 07:09:32 -0400

What Gopal wrote is correct, but I think he may have missed the part of the
question about rebuilding the index.

If you dump some index blocks after you alter the initrans, but before you
rebuild, you will see that the number beside kdxlebksz will not have
changed.

After you continue with the alter index rebuild, of course your index will
be in new blocks, but further, if you examine kdxlebksz, you'll see it is
smaller. That is the evidence that more space is reserved for initrans
entries. The byte offsets for the row# entries will also be different. If
you play with different values for initrans, you'll see this number drift by
24 per initrans value change (though the 24 may change by release number,
and I suppose they might change the kdxlebksz label as well).

Regards,

mwf

Author: Oracle Database 10g RAC Handbook, Oracle Press 2006
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/007146509X/