Re: Change index from nologging to logging

  • From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Charlotte Hammond <charlottejanehammond@xxxxxxxxx>, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 00:15:43 +0800 (SGT)

At 05:02 AM Tuesday, Charlotte Hammond wrote:
<sorry, the text of your email has been snipped by the spam filter, I  got only
your email header  !, but retrieving your email from the oracle-l archives>

In the manual (SQL Reference 10g) it says:

Specify whether the creation of the
index will be logged (LOGGING) or not logged (NOLOGGING) in the redo log file.
This setting also determines whether subsequent Direct Loader (SQL*Loader) and
direct-path INSERT operations against the index are logged or not logged.
LOGGING is the default.Are you not counting direct load/insert as DML, or do
you believe this statement is wrong?
I'd like to test it but so busy just now...

Followup   August 29, 2008 - 11pm US/Eastern:
indexes always, always, always generate redo during any insert, any - any - any

We were talking only about tables.

insert /*+ append */ - since it is done in bulk will MINIZE the redo, but it'll
generate redo for the indexes *always* if the index is maintained.

Also see

Hemant K Chitale