Re: Change index from nologging to logging

At 05:02 AM Tuesday, Charlotte Hammond wrote:
<sorry, the text of your email has been snipped by the spam filter, I  got only
your email header  !, but retrieving your email from the oracle-l archives>

In the manual (SQL Reference 10g) it says:

Specify whether the creation of the
index will be logged (LOGGING) or not logged (NOLOGGING) in the redo log file.
This setting also determines whether subsequent Direct Loader (SQL*Loader) and
direct-path INSERT operations against the index are logged or not logged.
LOGGING is the default.Are you not counting direct load/insert as DML, or do
you believe this statement is wrong?
I'd like to test it but so busy just now...

See
http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/asktom/f?p=100:11:0::::P11_QUESTION_ID:5280714813869
"
Followup   August 29, 2008 - 11pm US/Eastern:
indexes always, always, always generate redo during any insert, any - any - any
insert.

We were talking only about tables.

insert /*+ append */ - since it is done in bulk will MINIZE the redo, but it'll
generate redo for the indexes *always* if the index is maintained.
"

Also see
http://hemantoracledba.blogspot.com/2008/05/append-nologging-and-indexes.html

and