Re: Certifications don't count! (from a good test-taker)

  • From: Nuno Souto <dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 21:08:24 +1000

M Rafiq wrote,on my timestamp of 11/06/2008 2:45 AM:
However, if you go through the recruiters then 'certification' is the only criteria (due to lack of their knowledge) to submit your resume with their client. Same is true with some big consulting companies where they prefer to hire candidates with some sort of certification and put them on their client site to 'impress' them. No doubt it is quite bad practice and there is no replacement of experience.

Agreed.  But therein lies the rub: I simply will not
use recruiters to hire anyone.

Nowadays, that is a sure fire recipe to be shown only a selection
of incorrectly fit award-collectors, or, much worse: being given a
bunch of resumes that will bring certain "rewards" to the recruiters.

Who most of the time are nothing but legal fronts for sweat-shops
or migrant traders. I simply refuse to participate in such schemes,
so recruiters are off my map.  And that goes for anyone in my group
or HR themselves.

Given that most of the "requirements for certificates" come from
such recruiters, I'm quite sure I've weeded out "undesirables"
by the time I get bothered to read any resumes.

If that stops me from reading the resume of one out of a few
dozen "certifieds" who is a real dba, well: tough!

I'd rather select from the much wider pool of folks who like
to be dbas because they are passionate about that career.
Not because they can afford a piece of paper or someone
"afforded" it for them.

Besides: any certification geared to a single release level
of any software is the biggest oxymoron I've ever seen.

It's similar to a car mechanic telling me all they can
handle is a Focus model 2004 while I have a Falcon 2007.

Or a sparkie telling me all they can fix is the Westinghouse
435 fridge, too bad I got the 543.

I've said it before and will say it again: it's a totally
ridiculous state of affairs, perpetuated only because the
folks responsible have less brains than fit in a pinhead!

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto