RE: Certifications don't count!

  • From: "Herring Dave - dherri" <Dave.Herring@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Christopher.Boyle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 08:35:23 -0500

I've got to agree on the whole "oracle answer" vs. "real world answer".  I
received my 8.0 certification as part of helping a large group of DBAs get
theirs.  I found that I could tell what the OCP test questions were looking
for, even though I knew in the real world the OCP answer wasn't the best
option, at least in our environment.  I ended up teaching a course to all these
DBAs on how all of what they learned in the process applies to our environment
(you know, Oracle's 5 row EMP to DEPT queries vs. multi-billion row table
joins).

So if I can summarize this thread correctly (and the previous thread on
OCP/OCM, and the previous one to that, ...):

1) Some recruiters and managers only look at certification for hiring.
2) Some people are great test takers and can get certified with little to no
experience.
3) Some people are poor test takers or don't bother with certification yet are
great DBAs.
4) Some people lie about certification (either including it or hiding it).
5) In the end, you need your interviewers to be as good at what they do
compared to the DBAs at what they do, to get the people you really need for the
job.

Personally, I never go off a script when interviewing DBAs.  Instead I have
them walk thru their listed experience and try to force them to give details.
That always leads to interesting questions, answers, and hypothetical
situations that usually uncovers the DBA's skills and viability for the
position in question.

Dave

Dave Herring, DBA |   A c x i o m  M I C S / C S O
630-944-4762 office | 630-430-5988 wireless | 630-944-4989 fax