Can relative dirs be used in CREATE DIRECTORY?

  • From: "Rich Jesse" <rjoralist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 13:53:53 -0500 (CDT)

Hey all,

The subject about says it all.  The SQL Reference docs (10.1 - 11.1) for
CREATE DIRECTORY show this example:

CREATE DIRECTORY admin AS 'oracle/admin';

...which implies a relative directory of "." in Unix.  But where would that
directory have to be created on the filesystem?  I haven't been able to find
this through trial and error and I'm not sure how one would attempt to trace
this via strace, truss, etc.

My goal is to have changes in the filesystem automagically reflected in the
Oracle directory object without me having to rememeber to reissue the CREATE
DIRECTORY command manually on all databases.

Thoughts?

Rich