Re: Can Toad do 'reverse engineer'?

  • From: Peter McLarty <peter.mclarty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2008 22:26:28 +1000

Depending on your needs there is pretty good functionality on JDeveloper for
this,not sure how it would scale to large schema's, I mever tried it. You can
make an offline schema and then as part of that create an ER diagram, its good
at drawing it out, I used it last year to do a graphical representaion of a
really suspect view in Peoplesoft, it was a flagship of bad when JDeveloper
drew it

HTH

Rich Jesse wrote:
I don't think what you're looking to do is one of the strengths of Toad for
Oracle v9.6.  For a "whole database", you'll most likely want a dedicated
modeling tool.  Many of the available tools are listed here:

http://savage.net.au/Ron/html/drawing-tools.html

...including Toad Data Modeler (separate from Toad for Oracle that you
already have), with which I have done what you are requesting.  I'll leave
it up to you to judge for yourself.  I'm sure your Quest rep can get you
started.

HTH!  GL!

Rich

Disclaimer: I'm a Toad bigot, using it since v4.  See also http://asktoad.com

I have TOAD profession version 9.6.  I checked around Toad and can NOT find
"reverse engineer" function in it.  What I want is tool can get 'whole
database" master-detail relationship and draw a graphic.

Does anyone know Toad can do it?

If NOT any "free" tool an do it?

Thanks.