Re: Can RAC One Node run on One node only!

  • From: anelson77388@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: Q A I S E R <qrasheed@xxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 22:32:58 +0000

With 11g a one node rac cluster is supported.

Allan

On Apr 13, 2010 1:47pm, QAISER <qrasheed@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
We are considering Oracle RAC One Node for a small project. Due to budget constraints they will only purchase one server at this time. However they plan to get another server in six months, and we will run 2-node RAC with the help of this additional node. We wanted to reduce overhead of creating a non-RAC and then converting it into RAC. We thought RAC One node would be useful feature in this scenario. However after some research, it looks like Oracle RAC One Node is installed in one node of the cluster. The cluster allows one to take advantage of the Omotion technology to move the instance to a different node.

We are not using Virtual Machine in this environment. The documentation on this topic talks about installing RAC One node in the cluster. I have not been able to find out, if RAC One Node can be installed on one server only.

Is it possible to install RAC One Node on One server only? That is, in a non-clustered environment, and without using VM.
Thanks in advance!

--Qaiser