Re: Can Missing Tempfiles be Simply ADDED back after eXtract of FULL Database Backup ?

  • From: "Greg Norris" <spikey.mcmarbles@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 13:45:44 -0500

On 10/25/06, VIVEK_SHARMA <VIVEK_SHARMA@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

What did you mean by the word "sparse" in your statement "when the file isn't already present, in order to prevent it from being created sparse under *nix"

What are the advantages of NOT having a sparse tempfile?

By sparse[1] I mean that the space for the file isn't actually allocated
until it's used.  This lets you create a 16 GB tempfile, for example, in a 2
GB filesystem... instead of getting an error during creation, it occurs
later when the usage finally climbs too high.  BTW, this can have rather
nasty consequences if you have a controlfile and tempfile sharing the same
filesystem (trust me on this one).

Last I checked, tempfiles are the only type that Oracle will create sparse
(and only under *nix).  You can check this by comparing the output of "ls
-l" and "du -k" immediately after creation.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sparse_file

--
"I'm too sexy for my code." - Awk Sed Fred.