Re: CPU COSTING

  • From: "Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 09:22:52 +0100

Re-reading my post, it's not obvious that I approve
of CPU costing and think it should be enabled as
part of the migration plan from 8 to 9; so I'll just
say it clearly:

    "I approve of CPU costing and think it should be
    enabled as part of the migration plan from 8 to 9"

The fact that it will cause some surprises and confusion
occasionally is unfortunate.

One guideline when you've got some system statistics
gathered.  If you've adjusted optimizer_index_cost_adj,
set it back to default, otherwise you've effectively told Oracle
twice that single block reads are cheaper than multiblock reads.
(This was the point of the throwaway comment I made about
Oracle 9 in my DBAZine article on OICA).

Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

April 2004 Iceland  http://www.index.is/oracleday.php
June  2004      UK - Optimising Oracle Seminar
July 2004 USA West Coast, Optimising Oracle Seminar
August 2004 Charlotte NC, Optimising Oracle Seminar
September 2004 USA East Coast, Optimising Oracle Seminar
September2004 UK - Optimising Oracle Seminar