Re: CEO's head in the Cloud

  • From: LB <moabrivers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hagan@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 14:20:30 -0600

Thanks to everyone for their comments.  Since I posted the original
question, I've hit the books pretty hard to get up to speed on all of the
offerings (including Jeremiah Wilton's webcast from Sentrigo, a few PPT
discussions, the OTN site, the Amazon site and more).  For our case, we
already have a "private cloud" as one poster put it wherein we have two
geographically distinct datacenters running our databases and providing
failover.  These are Tier 3 datacenters so we've had great uptime success
with them.  We are using RAC and DG so we're covered for HA and DR.  Our
internal storage is all FC based to clustered filers.  Yes, the costs to get
us to this point were significant and our hardware does take depreciation
hits over time leading us to acquire more.  Truth be told, we've actually
been placing encrypted backups in Amazon's S3 cloud for quite some time as
an additional layer of protection.  It's the whole "let's put everything in
the cloud" that had me initially worried (i.e., the database servers, the
middle tier servers, the web servers, etc.).

The cloud seems like a great place for dev/test/staging environments but
I've not seen the full blown case studies of large OLTP systems shifting
into the cloud and that could be due to my lack of finding one.  Does anyone
have a success story here?

I like the idea of spinning up sites in the various geographic regions of
the world for testing or demo purposes however and that seems like something
that could be a win for us.  I don't know though that shifting our current
setup to a virtualized, non-RAC, iSCSI-based solution is the best thing to
do at this point but I am now in a "let's see what happens" mode.