RE: Bye bye Itanium and HP-UX?

  • From: "Walker, Jed S" <Jed_Walker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "troach@xxxxxxxxx" <troach@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 20:59:45 +0000

I thought it was a strong sign years ago when we were looking to upgrade from
8i and found that HPUX was refurbing and reselling HPUX PARISC servers and had
developed an emulator for PARISC to sit on the itanium servers. They really
wanted us to buy itaniun, but we never got the impression it was a good idea.
We'd run into a troublesome time getting 10g to install on Itanium (it worked
after a lot of work). We finally migrated that database from 8i/hpux parisc to
linux-x86 11g last week, phew!