By default, LOB store in line or out of line?

  • From: Leyi Kamus Zhang <kamusis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle_l <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 23:34:01 +0800

Hi Lists
According to the Doc as below:
*Oracle® Database Application Developer's Guide - Large Objects
10g Release 2 (10.2)*
Part Number B14249-01

In Chapter 4 there are 2 graphï¼?
1. LOB values are stored out-of-line when any of the following situations
apply:

*By default. That is, if you do not specify a LOB parameter for the LOB
storage clause when you create the table.*

2. ENABLE or DISABLE STORAGE IN ROW Clause

You use the ENABLE | DISABLE STORAGE IN ROW clause to indicate whether the
LOB should be stored inline (in the row) or out-of-line.

Note:
You may not alter this specification once you have made it: if you ENABLE
STORAGE IN ROW, then you cannot alter it to DISABLE STORAGE IN ROW and vice
versa.
*The default is ENABLE STORAGE IN ROW.*

Document error? Which one is the TRUTH? or I misunderstanding something?

Based on our test, even every LOB has only 2080bytes(less than 4000bytes),
LOB is stored OUT of line, but dba_lobs.in_row=YES.

--
Kamus <kamusis@xxxxxxxxx>

Visit my blog for more : http://www.dbform.com
Join ACOUG: http://www.acoug.org