Re: Block dump - Uncommitted TXN - Help Urgent

  • From: BN <bnsarma@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "David Sharples" <davidsharples@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 09:35:19 -0400

On 9/19/06, David Sharples <davidsharples@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

why not just look at dba_blockers and dba_waiters - why are you doing block dumps?

Find the blocking session and either kill it or call him and and ask him
to commit the changes

On 18/09/06, BN <bnsarma@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: > > > > On 9/18/06, Anjo Kolk <anjo.kolk@xxxxxxxxxxx > wrote: > > > > > > I am sorry to be such a pain, but may be explaining what the problem > > is and what you want to do, will help me and others on this list. > > > > Anjo. > > > > > > On 9/18/06, BN <bnsarma@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: > > > > > > Greetings, > > > > > > > > > Oracle 8.1.7.4 > > > > > > I have taken a Block dump, > > > > > > Where do I look for missing commit? > > > > > > > >

Greetings,

Like I said I am able to identify this info from v$lock (request, lmode,
block) and link it
to v$session to get the object details.

Initially I was thining that it was a missing "COMMIT" some where in the
app, Later I saw a pattern.

The Blocker  (doing a TXN (DML) spanning many tables) was holding the lock a
little longer, 10 secs are more. Being a very busy OLTP , this was causing
others issues.

I wasn't sure where the Blocker loosing his time, Later in the evening , I
noticed that there were many ST enqueue locks (no, we are not using LMTS -
For all new tables I am pushing LMTS).  I am assuming that this could be an
issue. Bumped up the next extent size. The tables were large and extents
were in 1000s.

I am also monitoring v$session_wait. Its intermittent and fast. The users
complain that they are stuck and if they retry they are back to normal.

I have been sitting on this all day yesterday, took some Level 12 traces and
fixed  some expensive queries , not sure if they helped or not. Those
querues are running faster now.

Again back to monitoring today ...

Appreciate  your ides/thoughts ....
--