RE: Blade Servers

  • From: Stephen.Lee@xxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 13:46:40 -0500

Sun and IBM (among others, I think) make multi-CPU servers that are compact
and fit in a rack.  I've seen that, for boxes with a maximum capacity of 8
CPU's, there appears to be good competition, so you see competitive prices
even from vendors such as Sun and IBM on these boxes.  One advantage of
multi-CPU boxes hosting multiple instances is that it is unlikely that all
the instances will be hit hard all at the same time.  So when one instance
hits a peak, it has access to multiple CPU's to get it through the peak.

If you move into the more sophisticated servers, you get features like
multiple, independently bootable "domains", where you can move CPU's between
domains; and you see additional hardware robustness not present in little
boxes.

If money is no object, then recall IBM's TV commercial where the execs walk
into the data center, and the room is empty except for the one IBM server in
the corner?  If money is no object, consider what you can run on a single,
fully pumped up E15K.  I can't see how going to blades is going to save
space.