Re: Blade Servers

  • From: Jared.Still@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 10:55:16 -0700

> year require another 20 databases. On the Unix side of the house, we
> lease large servers and run upwards of 10 databases on the machines.
> That can't be done on the Intel platform.
Why not?  Admittedly it is not as clean as doing it on *nix, but I
see no reason for not being able to run 10 databases on Win32.

> development using RedHat ES 3, which means Intel hardware. Blade servers
> are hot and they want me to look at using blades and or VMware. We would
> be running dedicated fiber to our EMC for each blade.

You're right, they are hot.  We've not used them here, but I've read
comments
by those that have.  They generate a *lot* of heat.  Make sure your data
center can deal with it.

They also share a backplane.  Here's a good link detailing some issues.

http://technologyreports.net/enterpriseinnovator/?articleID=1891

If you have a subscription to Gartner, you should investigate there.

Try using teoma.com or vivisimo.com rather than Google.  Many of the hits
from Google are vendors.  They of course have nothing but good news
about blade servers.

HTH

Jared