RE: Bind variables peeked on first parse, but not on subsequent hard parses

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Martin Ruthner <ruthner@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "kerry.osborne@xxxxxxxxxxx" <kerry.osborne@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Oracle-L Freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 16:44:01 -0700

I tested in using dbms_shared_pool.purge to clear heap 6 out of the
shared pool and when I reloaded the query, the bind variables were peeked again
so based on that, it doesn't look like the same problem exists in as
what I'm seeing in, however when I've seen the problem in the
database, the plan was aged out naturally over time, not purged with
dbms_shared_pool, so it's not exactly an apple-to-apples comparison.
Unfortunately, dbms_shared_pool.purge doesn't exist in so I'll have to
install a patch to add it and do some more testing

Kerry, I didn't check on v$sql_bind_capture last time since my understanding is
that there is no relation between the values in that view (captured every 15
minutes by default) and the values peeked at query parse/optimization time, but
I'll check it next time the problem occurs.