Re: Big files

  • From: Andy Colvin <acolvin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 22:10:55 -0600

One thing of note is that on versions below 11.1, rman will not be able to
break a bigfile tablespace into multiple chunks when taking backups using
parallelism.  Starting with 11.1, rman can break a large file into multiple
pieces using the section size parameter.
From my experience, I would only create bigfile tablespaces on ASM.  It's
generally easier to expand ASM diskgroups than individual filesystems.

Andy Colvin

Principal Consultant
Enkitec
andy.colvin@xxxxxxxxxxx