Re: Better cardinality estimate when dialing optimizer_features_enable back

  • From: Randolf Geist <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Randolf Geist <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Neil Kodner <nkodner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 17:51:04 +0100

> Well look what I found while poking around sys.wri$_optstat_histhead_
> history
>
> http://bit.ly/75oNst (screenshot)
>
> Could this have been a function of sample size changing? Could
> parallel have anything to do with it?

Since the density itself was so far not used for the cardinality estimate
calculation this is merely an indicator that "something" has changed - the old
density is calculated based on the histogram generated. So a significant change
in the density might indicate that the underlying histogram has changed.

That was one of the questions I haven't raised yet - what could have changed,
since I already had the impression that there was a time when the batch job
performed better from your comments.

You can try to restore the old statistics from the statistics history to see if
there were significant differences in the histogram generated and the sample
size used to gather the statistics along with the number of distinct values
gathered. This way you could also check what NewDensity got calculated with the
old statistics and what the estimates looked like for your example queries.

The slowly increasing density suggests that the underlying data might slowly
have changed to something now that might have changed the shape of the
height-balanced histogram so that the density calculation was significantly
affected.

Regards,
Randolf

Oracle related stuff blog:
http://oracle-randolf.blogspot.com/

Co-author of the forthcoming "OakTable Expert Oracle Practices" book:
http://www.apress.com/book/view/1430226684
http://www.amazon.com/Expert-Oracle-Practices-Database-Administration/dp/1430226684
Preisknaller: WEB.DE DSL Flatrate für nur 16,99 Euro/mtl.!
http://produkte.web.de/go/02/