Re: Better cardinality estimate when dialing optimizer_features_enable back

  • From: Neil Kodner <nkodner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Greg Rahn <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 11:40:40 -0500

Now I'm thoroughly confused.  Since last night's analyze, I now get the same
(poor) cardinality estimate regardless of optimizer_features_enable.
 However, in my QA system, which was updated from production, I can
replicate the problem.

Here are my table/column/index stats in both production and QA.
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ArUTHdqN0J--dGtCLUZ1ZmhXMkpNUUpRVjZmcE9QLXc&hl=en

The real issue behind all of this is queries against letter_bin by prty_id.
 They are taking too long and scanning too many blocks when I have the poor
cardinality estimate.  With the correct cardinality estimates, I get
subsecond response.  Otherwise, they take anywhere from 1 to 30 seconds.

Here's a sample 10046
http://www.neilkodner.com/10046_trace.txt

and a 10053
http://www.neilkodner.com/10053_trace.txt

And finally, my analyze command
DBMS_STATS.GATHER_SCHEMA_STATS(OWNNAME=>USER,CASCADE=>TRUE,method_opt=>'FOR
ALL INDEXED COLUMNS SIZE AUTO',DEGREE=>4);