Re: Best way to calc transactions for the month

  • From: "Ravi Gaur" <ravigaur1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 13:12:24 -0500

We use a 3rd party tool called "Ambeo" (which got recently acquired by
Embarcadero) for our DS shop at Univ of IL to get the database usage
statistics -- it sniffs the traffic on a certain port and captures every
single database activity -- you could report on object usage, DMLs, user
logon/logoff etc etc. More detailed information than general db auditing and
good reporting.
I think there is a free trial of 30 days on that (our DS folks know more
about it but I can check if you like)

- Ravi Gaur
Lead DBA
AITS - Univ of IL

On 4/11/07, Bobak, Mark <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 Well, if you look at Statspack snapshots, that will give you transaction
rate, but it won't include selects.  If I recall correctly, it looks at the
user rollbacks and user commits statistics.  In fact, it will count
transactions, which could be made up of many DML statements.

Hmm...I can't think of any good way to do this, short of turning on trace
or auditing, and summarizing data from there.

Any chance you can talk him out of asking for what he's asking for? ;-)
It's almost certainly not at all meaningful or useful, but convincing him of
that may be a political and diplomatic challenge...;-)

-Mark

*--*
*Mark J. Bobak*
*Senior Oracle Architect*
*ProQuest/CSA*

"There are 10 types of people in the world:  Those who understand binary,
and those who don't."