Re: Best way to calc transactions for the month

  • From: "Sandra Becker" <sbecker6925@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tim@xxxxxxxxx" <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 14:31:38 -0600

Thanks everyone for your replies.  It seems IBM has approached us to be part
of a seed program for their new line of business class mainframes
and they were asking how many transactions we do per month.  Now that I know
what it is the president is looking for, I think Tim's script will be
sufficient.  He's more interested in ballpark rather than exact numbers
right now and I know he'll accept numbers that don't include selects.
Overall, he's a pretty easygoing kind of guy.  He does want me
to be very involved in making the decision on whether or not we should
switch platforms from Dell to IBM.  That means I get to ask all kinds of
questions.  ;-)

On 4/11/07, tim@xxxxxxxxx <tim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Sandy,

SELECTs really aren't "transactions" in the commonly-used sense of the
word, as changes are not being made.  Transactions generally involve
changes (i.e. INSERT, UPDATE, or DELETE).

The sheer number of changes to the database, whether through DDL
commands (i.e. CREATE, ALTER, DROP, TRUNCATE, GRANT, REVOKE, etc) or
DML commands (i.e. INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE) can be counted in the
statistic "user commits" in the V$SYSSTAT view, which is also recorded
in the STATSPACK table STATS$SYSSTAT.  This statistic only tracks
actual committed changes, not the number of times a user session calls
the "commit" command, so it is a good (though imprecisely defined)
measure of "work" performed by the database.

If the president wants a good number to track over time, measuring
"throughput" through the database, you could do far worse than "user
commits", as long as he doesn't attempt to tie that number back
directly to some other measure (i.e. number of widgets produced,
number of read I/Os, etc).  If you are using STATSPACK, I have a
script named " sptrends.sql" at
http://www.EvDBT.com/tools.htm<http://www.evdbt.com/tools.htm>that can
query STATS$SYSSTAT for a particular statistic, and display the values
over time.  It can also dump the data into ".csv" format for upload
into MS-Excel, for graphing, etc.

This sounds like a fairly micro-managing manager, to me.  :-)  What is
the question he is really trying to ask and then answer?

Hope this helps!

-Tim