Re: Best practice for Dataguard in 10g?

  • From: Nuno Souto <dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2009 19:42:23 +1000

Ahbaid Gaffoor wrote,on my timestamp of 6/09/2009 7:13 PM:

I've used it for 10.2.0.3 (hit a few bugs), 10.2.0.4 with a few patches was stable, and I've been running it on a few 11.1.0.7 systems.

Thanks. We're in 10.2.0.3 - 11g will be the next step up,
so it's a no-no for us at the moment: had my fair share
of 10g bugs, don't need anymore!  :)

system failover to another in under 40 seconds (that's my worst case, best case was 10 secs) on a hevily used prod system, without any manual intervention was incredible.

Yes, but you see: incredible and other such wow-factors
are very low in our list of priorities.  ;)

Even if you did the steps manually, you can't beat it. I was able to get a db failoved over to another datacenter in a power loss event in 35 seconds using FSFO..

The good thing is time to failover is immaterial to us.  This
is a DW, not a OLTP system: the failover taking seconds or
minutes is really not an issue at all.  What I don't want is
for it to kick in because of a glitch in the network, somewhere
else.  There are a number of feeds into and out of the DW,
worldwide, that would be seriously affected by spurious
triggering.

so I'd recommend it from 10.2.0.4 upwards

Cool.  Thanks heaps for that info.

I still have to dig into the FSFO specific 11g enhancements, but I do know you can control failover programatically now.

Indeed.  Just finished the 11g Dataguard admin course and
we did a few as part of the labs.  Very nice and I like
the concept of the application itself being able to initiate
failover - opens up a lot of possibilities, not necessarily
related to network connectivity or db availability.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto