Best bet for table defragmentation

  • From: "Khan, Muhammad S" <Muhammad.Khan@xxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 11:56:13 -0400

Its Oracle 9.2.0.7 on Solaris, we have a transaction table with
approximately 68 million rows. It is consisting of about 100GB space in
the tablespace and it is assumed that it is highly fragmented. We
definitely need some space at that tablespace and for that we were
discussing the methods for defragmenting it and get some space back. One
suggested method was export/import but that would take atleast 6 hours
while another one was moving the table to another tablespace and rebuild
the indexes which would not require any downtime.

Does any guru have any other suggestion regarding that? Or your input
about the above methods as per knowledge and experience???

Thanks,