Re: Best Practice: pinning objects

 What are the valid points against pinning?
  What do you mean by managing the trigger?
  You can put the objects to pin in a database table and join it with
dba_objects and pin the appropriate ones. You only change the table to
add/remove objects and leave the trigger code alone. Thanks

Charles Schultz <sacrophyte@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:  Good day, list,

My  colleagues and I were debating the merits of having a startup trigger  pin
objects. I am in favor of this method, but the others bring some  valid points
to the table. It basically comes down to managing the  trigger and the objects
that are pinned. We experimented with a  shutdown trigger in the past, which
was responsible for gathering stats  and collecting info about "current'
objects, but that broke rather  quickly. So we are thinking of providing a list
of objects from an  external source (ie, flat file), which would be consistent
and  extremely visible. The alternative to using a trigger would be a cron  job
that checks every-so-often.

I tried to find supporting documentation online, but I did not  get any useful
hits for "best practice[s]" and "pin object[s]". Anyone  want to weigh in on
either side? One way or another, we want various  application objects to be
pinned right after the database is started,  with minimal amount of hassle and
overhead. From my point of view, the  whole purpose of a startup trigger is to
run something when the  database starts. Yes, one could use a glorified startup
script, but we  want to steer away from such conventions. One key question is
"Is there  ever a time when you do not want to automatically pin objects?"

I have also been looking for information about whether or not a startup trigger
would fire for "STARTUP UPGRADE" when patching.

PS - I have an example I am using from M.Gralike, 2003-10-10

--
Charles Schultz

Be a PS3 game guru.