Re: Backup policy

On Nov 12, 2007 9:25 PM, Zanen van, J (Jacob) <Jacob.van.Zanen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>  Hi List,
>
> When I started here a few months ago all scripts were sort of in place for
> backups but I have my doubts about something.
>
> One of the things the scripts do is check if the database is up and
> running, and if not starts the database and mounts it to take the backup.
>
> I seriously have my doubts about the validity of this, as this takes away
> the checking of why it was down in the first place.
>
> My idea is to leave the check in but remove the portion of the script that
> start the database and just send  an error if the database is down (maybe
> not even that as this is picked up by open view already)

I'm in 2 minds about this, but tending to stay with your existing scripts.
As Yechiel says it doesn't allow for a backup in that backup window, and my
first rule for When Things Go Bad (tm) is 'Backup the problem before you
make it any worse'.

On the other hand If the system has been taken down for some sheduled
maintenance reason - say an OS patch or some such - then kicking off a bunch
of processes and disk activity might be the last thing the sysadmins want -
and I'm hoping you'd be notified when a database went down unexpectedly
anyway.

So no real answer, but that's what I'd be balancing - it seems to me it's
like the argument over whether to start all oracle services automatically on
a server restart or not - arguments both ways.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA