RE:Backup and Recovery and DR - RMAN vs. NOT

  • From: Paula Stankus <paulastankus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cary.millsap@xxxxxxxxxx, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 08:14:58 -0700 (PDT)

Guys,

  My system admin. has a very strong personality and he is very intelligent.
However, he also is leaving in about a year and his junior is not at the same
level.  I just started and they have setup scripts to do alter tablespace to
back tablespaces up.  In order to decrease their total window they have decided
to alter tablespace to begin backup, split mirror, end tablespace backup and
resilver.  They have bought a large SAN to enable them to do this.  I believe
Networker Version 7.3 writes out clones at the same time as original tapes.  So
they will do that as well so that they get their clones for DR faster.

  I am definitely used to using RMAN and using Networker solely as the Media
Management layer for writing directly to tape.  However, I do see the benefits
of writing to disk and having some database backups on disk.  They also are not
interested in purchasing the Oracle agent from networker for the 5 boxes.

  I know that they are against Differential backups and RMAN as (a) they think
both will complicate the backup process with little payoff and (b) I believe
they like controlling thrings through Networker (which of couse could still be
done).  I am thinking the advantages (especially if a great deal of data is
static) with RMAN is:

  -easier and more organized tracking of backups (but again, Networker does
this as well)
  -ability to do backups at a more granular level with differential backups,
block-level backups and recoveries, read-only tablespace backups solutions
available
  -ability to write directly to tape and restore/recover directly from tape in
parallel.
  -ability to execute backups/restores/recoveries independently to a larger
extent than having to call the system admin. if we need to go back farther than
a day.

  I am thinking that RMAN would be a good bet.  Does anyone have any good ideas
for convincing folks that this is a good option or should I just "go with the
flow".

  Thanks,
  Paula

starting at 1&cent;/min.