Re: Backup Controlfile and ArchiveLog -- was re Urgent ORA-00600: internal error code

  • From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jeremy.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 05 May 2007 00:43:59 +0800

Interesting..

Question : In your recovery testing,  what was the exact sequence ?  Was it ?
a) Restore an older controlfile binary backup -- only controlfile restored, datafiles being current b) Issue RECOVER DATABASE USING BACKUP CONTROLFILE -- did you also specify "UNTIL CANCEL" ?

OR
  a)  Create Controlfile
  b)  Issue RECOVER DATABASE ... commands.

What if you had also restored DataFiles from the older backup ? -- ie even the DataFiles were not "current" ? Then, if that was a Hot Backup, you would have had to apply some ArchiveLog(s). If it was a Cold Backup, ... (ie ControlFile and DataFiles from Monday)
you should have been able to CANCEL and OPEN RESETLOGS without having
any online redo log file (as today when you do the restore, it is Wednesday so your
ondisk online redo logs are Wednesday's files).

Hemant

At 10:36 PM Friday, Jeremy Paul Schneider wrote:
Related to this... we were testing some recovery scenarios for a "tech night" this past monday night and walked through controlfile recovery among other things...

Even if you have a clean database shutdown (immediate) and restore *only* your controlfiles, we found that you still need to process the last online redo log then open with resetlogs. If you just say CANCEL then it won't open the database. This is interesting because your datafiles do not actually need recovery. However Oracle makes you process that last online log and open with resetlogs. My theory is that Oracle doesn't actually update the SCN in the control file until it "recovers" a logfile... even if there's nothing in that logfile to actually process...

FYI, we were testing on <http://10.2.0.2>10.2.0.2

-Jeremy

--
Jeremy Schneider